Skip to main content

Editor's Letter





Hi #womeninlaw, welcome to For Women in Law, a platform dedicated to empowering women through courageous convos, connecting and inspiring! 

A little bit about myself, I am Noemi Muya, a devoted christian and eldest of three girls. I am a ferocious reader and lifetime fan of Sex and the City.  I graduated with a BA Law degree at the University of North West and I am currently a part-time LLB student at UNISA. My day job(s) entail working as a legal intern, language consultant and running this platform.

I started For Women in Law while experiencing heavy black-balling from an  older woman in a senior position at my old law firm. I then promised myself that I would always aim to create an enabling and safe environment for women who come after me.

I have also experienced a great share of genuine mentorship from women who mentored and supported me. So, when younger women come to me for mentorship, I am happy to pass the baton and share the wisdom. Representation matters. It is important that we witness more women in law breaking barriers. 


In creating this platform, I hope to connect with and empower women.  In the words of Maya Angelou  “when you learn, teach. When you get, give.” I hope you enjoy this journey through the eyes and lives of the phenomenal women in law who will be featured and profiled.


- Noemi Muya

Twitter: @noemi_muya
Instagram: @noemimuya










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women in Law Interview - Silvia Uscov

This month we chat to stunning Romanian lawyer, Silvia Uscov, who is a business attorney and managing partner at USCOV | Attorneys at Law. Silvia oversees the Bankruptcy and Restructuring workgroup. She is also a human rights lawyer and safeguards human rights & civil liberties through civil and criminal proceedings, in front of both local as well international courts such as ECHR. I came across Silvia’s page a few weeks ago, I was naturally draw to her profile and apparent confidence. A quick DM resulted in a very pleasant conversation about women in law, mentorship etc.  This platform really allows me to meet and interact with some amazing and phenomenal women in law and Silvia is exactly that! Below is the interview between For Women in Law (FWIL) and (SU) Silvia Uscov verbatim FWIL: What inspired you to study law? SU: I consider Law a combination of mystery, puzzle, research, logic, sales and a vision of a saving hero. Because I did not have a ...

Women in Law Interview: Adaku Ufere

Rising to the top in the legal field can be a difficult task. The significance of any lawyer being awarded “Attorney of the Year” by the African Legal Awards would mean that you are the best in Africa. The ultimate recognition for your work. This is a dream for any lawyer or aspiring lawyer, including myself, but for Adaku Ufere this has been a reality. Adaku was named Attorney of the Year by The African Legal Awards 2017, literally making her the best attorney on the continent. She is the youngest person to ever win this award, as well as the first Nigerian. A few months ago I came across Adaku Ufere’s interview as Energy Practice Leader for Centurion Law Group. In the interview, Adaku spoke about her fascination with the oil and gas industry.  An international oil & gas lawyer, Adaku holds an LLB from the University of Nigeria, a BL from the Nigerian Law School and an LLM in Oil and Gas from the University of Aberdeen. She is a member of the Nigerian Bar and the Internati...

Women in Law Interview: Gundo Nevhutanda

This month we speak to attorney, notary, and conveyancer, Gundo Nevhutanda. Gundo was born in Vondwe village in Limpopo and she qualified as an attorney after serving her articles in 2016. She simultaneously studied BCom (Law) and Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from 2010 to 2014 at the University of Pretoria and a t the tender age of 25, Gundo was named by the Law Society of the Northern Provinces as the youngest black female conveyancer to be admitted. She obtained her LLM in 2018 and she is currently a Ph.D. candidate and an associate in the Financial Regulatory practice at Webber Wentzel in Sandton, South Africa. Earlier this month Gundo earned a place among the 2019 Mail & Guardian 200 Young South Africans! Below is our interview with the phenomenal woman in law. FWIL: Tell us a little about yourself. (Background, career, interests) GN: My full names are Gundo Victoria Nevhutanda and I am the first of 4 children. I was born and raised in Vondwe, a village i...