Skip to main content

Editor's Letter





Hi #womeninlaw, welcome to For Women in Law, a platform dedicated to empowering women through courageous convos, connecting and inspiring! 

A little bit about myself, I am Noemi Muya, a devoted christian and eldest of three girls. I am a ferocious reader and lifetime fan of Sex and the City.  I graduated with a BA Law degree at the University of North West and I am currently a part-time LLB student at UNISA. My day job(s) entail working as a legal intern, language consultant and running this platform.

I started For Women in Law while experiencing heavy black-balling from an  older woman in a senior position at my old law firm. I then promised myself that I would always aim to create an enabling and safe environment for women who come after me.

I have also experienced a great share of genuine mentorship from women who mentored and supported me. So, when younger women come to me for mentorship, I am happy to pass the baton and share the wisdom. Representation matters. It is important that we witness more women in law breaking barriers. 


In creating this platform, I hope to connect with and empower women.  In the words of Maya Angelou  “when you learn, teach. When you get, give.” I hope you enjoy this journey through the eyes and lives of the phenomenal women in law who will be featured and profiled.


- Noemi Muya

Twitter: @noemi_muya
Instagram: @noemimuya










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women in Law Interview - Silvia Uscov

This month we chat to stunning Romanian lawyer, Silvia Uscov, who is a business attorney and managing partner at USCOV | Attorneys at Law. Silvia oversees the Bankruptcy and Restructuring workgroup. She is also a human rights lawyer and safeguards human rights & civil liberties through civil and criminal proceedings, in front of both local as well international courts such as ECHR. I came across Silvia’s page a few weeks ago, I was naturally draw to her profile and apparent confidence. A quick DM resulted in a very pleasant conversation about women in law, mentorship etc.  This platform really allows me to meet and interact with some amazing and phenomenal women in law and Silvia is exactly that! Below is the interview between For Women in Law (FWIL) and (SU) Silvia Uscov verbatim FWIL: What inspired you to study law? SU: I consider Law a combination of mystery, puzzle, research, logic, sales and a vision of a saving hero. Because I did not have a grea

Women in Law Interview: Gundo Nevhutanda

This month we speak to attorney, notary, and conveyancer, Gundo Nevhutanda. Gundo was born in Vondwe village in Limpopo and she qualified as an attorney after serving her articles in 2016. She simultaneously studied BCom (Law) and Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from 2010 to 2014 at the University of Pretoria and a t the tender age of 25, Gundo was named by the Law Society of the Northern Provinces as the youngest black female conveyancer to be admitted. She obtained her LLM in 2018 and she is currently a Ph.D. candidate and an associate in the Financial Regulatory practice at Webber Wentzel in Sandton, South Africa. Earlier this month Gundo earned a place among the 2019 Mail & Guardian 200 Young South Africans! Below is our interview with the phenomenal woman in law. FWIL: Tell us a little about yourself. (Background, career, interests) GN: My full names are Gundo Victoria Nevhutanda and I am the first of 4 children. I was born and raised in Vondwe, a village i

Women in Law Interview: Star Koketso Lediga

This month we speak to lawyer and author, Star Koketso Lediga, who holds a bachelor of laws from the University of Pretoria, and is an admitted attorney of the high court of South Africa. I came across Koketso's Instagram account a few weeks ago and immediately recognized her as somebody I went to high school with. If my memory serves me right, I think she was in matric when I was in grade 8.  I remember her because she was hard not to notice. Tall, beautiful and vocal!  Koketso specializes in  construction, engineering law and energy law and she   is also a managing director at Infra-Afrika, an advisory firm that offers legal, engineering and financing-related advisory services. This phenomenal woman in law recently became an independent published author. In this interview she tells us more about her book - Kole Meets Mama Winnie's Southern African Friends. FWIL:      What inspired you to study law? KL: I wish I had some profound and inspiring respon