Skip to main content

Women in Law Interview: Munozovepi Gwato

Munozovepi Gwata holds a BA(Law) degree and is currently an LLB (Hons) student who continuously uses innovative methods to change the game for development in Africa. Her keen interest lies in the financial markets and she started trading at the age of 17.

In pursuit of gaining more knowledge about the financial industry, she has initiated the journey towards getting her Charted Financial Analyst (CFA) qualification. Her interest in the financial markets is what led her to start Kukura Capital.

Kukura Capital is a platform that Munozovepi started with the aim of making financial education easy and accessible. Through different materials such as blogs and videos, the aim is to make people more financially literate so that they can make well informed financial decisions.
Munozovepi is also the founder of RichLearn, which is the first South African financial literacy education App on the market. ReachLearn is available on the Google Play Store. 





FWIL:
What inspired you to study law?
MG:
I was inspired to study law because I was deeply influenced by Brooksley Born, who was the first female president of the Standford Law Review, and also graduated top of class in spite of being only one of two females in her entire class. Other than her resilience and perseverance Brooksely Born was a real role model for me because she forecasted the financial collapse of 2008, and in spite of hostility against her, she spoke her truth. This really left an impact on me because I started to see the real influence and impact that attorneys had. This was really significant to me. that a lawyer had the most insight on the financial markets, because I was looking for a career path that really develops your understanding about multiple fields and industries. For example, Nick Szabo one of the architects of blockchain was legal scholar by trade and Peter Thiel, one of the initial founders of PayPal and now infamous venture capitalist, was also a lawyer. On top of that, many of today’s great activists and politicians are lawyers. All this has made me to believe that law is a good foundation to have if you are inspired to direct change.

FWIL:
Why a specific interest in FinTech?
MG:
My interest in financial technology stems from my passion to create financial inclusion. I believe that there are a lot of communities that are excluded from the financial markets, and I believe that by gaining a better understanding in financial technology, I can contribute towards facilitating financial inclusion.

FWIL:
How did your company and NGO, Kukura Capital and Kukuru Foundation, come about?
MG:
I was looking for a means to solve a problem that I had identified in South Africa. This problem was that many people in South Africa have no control over their financial future and more than 70% are over indebted. The main reason for this is because people are not financial educated. This problem is not only significant to South Africa, but it is very pronounced in our country. Being a huge fan of Rich Dad Poor Dad, I thought I could extend those philosophies through the platform of Kukura Capital and create financial empowerment through financial education.



FWIL:
You are a financial blogger for Fin24 and Investing.com, how are you using these platforms to advocate for and empower other women in finance and law?
MG:
What I mostly wish to achieve by writing for these platforms is to show people that young females can provide intellectual insight on matters of law and finances. My intention is to disrupt these spaces that usually have male writers and show that women can also be analytical and critical on these topics.

FWIL:
The journey of a legal professional is not always an easy one. How have you managed to balance being a law student, blogger and an entrepreneur? What are some of the lessons you have learned along the way and how have they shaped your outlook on life?
MG:
I think that you can always find time to do the things that you love, I am well known for saying that 24 hours is more than enough time. I think it is important to plan out your day and the projects you want to achieve as well as defining your goals for the day, the week, the month and the year ahead. I am a fanatic about planning.
What I have learnt from this journey is that anything is possible. You have the ability to take even the simplest ideas and grow it into something that can impact other people. I think the beautiful thing about this journey is that it taught me not to limit myself and to take every opportunity that comes my way.

FWIL:
What is the best advice you would give to women wanting to study law?
MG:
I would say that they should definitely go for it and be very confident in the field of law and not be swayed by the fact that it is a male dominate industry. The other thing I would advise a woman who wishes to study law is to do it with excellence and strive to excel in the field and go beyond the scope that is provided for in the lecture hall.



FWIL:
It is quite important to effectively use your network as your network could define your net worth. How do you meet other legal professionals and what are some of your effective networking skills?
MG:
I agree that your network is your net worth. My best advise in this regard would be to leverage from the legal communities that exist in your university which is what I do in my case in order to meet legal professionals. I would also advise being an active participant in activities such as Moot and other events that are hosted on campus on collaboration will established law firms.

FWIL:
What does the term “role model” mean to you? Which phenomenal woman would you call your role model?
MG:
I think a role model is someone who you look up to. You also look to role models to gain lessons and learn from them, so you can apply their secrets of success to your life. I have many female role models and it is really hard to select one, but if I was to choose one I would say that Serena Willams is by far one my biggest female role models.



FWIL:
How can people reach out to you? (social media handles)
MG:
I must be honest I am bad with social media, and if people want to reach me the best way is through my website KukuraCapital (www.kukuracapital.com) , and LinkedIn (Munozovepi Gwata). I am very active on LinkedIn, but not sure that it counts as social media.

FWIL:
What does being an alpha female mean to you?
MG:
For me an alpha woman is somebody who is not intimidated by the odds and is a woman who lifts up other women.



#August #womensmonth #womenandinfluence #connecting #power #women #influence #impart #inspire




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women in Law Interview - Silvia Uscov

This month we chat to stunning Romanian lawyer, Silvia Uscov, who is a business attorney and managing partner at USCOV | Attorneys at Law. Silvia oversees the Bankruptcy and Restructuring workgroup. She is also a human rights lawyer and safeguards human rights & civil liberties through civil and criminal proceedings, in front of both local as well international courts such as ECHR. I came across Silvia’s page a few weeks ago, I was naturally draw to her profile and apparent confidence. A quick DM resulted in a very pleasant conversation about women in law, mentorship etc.  This platform really allows me to meet and interact with some amazing and phenomenal women in law and Silvia is exactly that! Below is the interview between For Women in Law (FWIL) and (SU) Silvia Uscov verbatim FWIL: What inspired you to study law? SU: I consider Law a combination of mystery, puzzle, research, logic, sales and a vision of a saving hero. Because I did not have a grea

Women in Law Interview: Gundo Nevhutanda

This month we speak to attorney, notary, and conveyancer, Gundo Nevhutanda. Gundo was born in Vondwe village in Limpopo and she qualified as an attorney after serving her articles in 2016. She simultaneously studied BCom (Law) and Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from 2010 to 2014 at the University of Pretoria and a t the tender age of 25, Gundo was named by the Law Society of the Northern Provinces as the youngest black female conveyancer to be admitted. She obtained her LLM in 2018 and she is currently a Ph.D. candidate and an associate in the Financial Regulatory practice at Webber Wentzel in Sandton, South Africa. Earlier this month Gundo earned a place among the 2019 Mail & Guardian 200 Young South Africans! Below is our interview with the phenomenal woman in law. FWIL: Tell us a little about yourself. (Background, career, interests) GN: My full names are Gundo Victoria Nevhutanda and I am the first of 4 children. I was born and raised in Vondwe, a village i

Women in Law Interview: Star Koketso Lediga

This month we speak to lawyer and author, Star Koketso Lediga, who holds a bachelor of laws from the University of Pretoria, and is an admitted attorney of the high court of South Africa. I came across Koketso's Instagram account a few weeks ago and immediately recognized her as somebody I went to high school with. If my memory serves me right, I think she was in matric when I was in grade 8.  I remember her because she was hard not to notice. Tall, beautiful and vocal!  Koketso specializes in  construction, engineering law and energy law and she   is also a managing director at Infra-Afrika, an advisory firm that offers legal, engineering and financing-related advisory services. This phenomenal woman in law recently became an independent published author. In this interview she tells us more about her book - Kole Meets Mama Winnie's Southern African Friends. FWIL:      What inspired you to study law? KL: I wish I had some profound and inspiring respon