Skip to main content

Mentors – Get One. Be One.





No matter where you are in your career, you don’t need to do it alone. Getting a mentor is definitely something that everybody should be doing. Mentorship is extremely important for your growth. Whether it is professional growth, career or even spiritual growth. Throughout my career and life, I have had a multitude of mentors. and these mentors have really impacted and improved specific areas of my life, be it my studies, career or finances. I can proudly attribute some of my successes to having a mentor.

As a mentee, I have also benefited from the deep experience of people who have made a personal investment in me; as a mentor, I have accelerated other people’s learning simply by investing some time and insight, which has been incredibly gratifying. When you invest time and energy in someone, you not only change the trajectory of his or her life and career with your experience and wisdom, but your company or organization can reap rewards in various forms.

When deciding to get yourself a mentor, it is important to primarily build a relationship with them. Allow them to get a sense of who you are, what you do and what it is that you want to achieve. It is also important to let know what it is that you bring to the table, because mentorship should be a two-way street. The mentor-mentee relationship goes both ways. It should benefit both parties.

Sometimes a mentor can be somebody you are learning from via books, interviews or even social media. I have plenty of those. Women who I aspire to be like. These are women in law, women in business, women founders etc. One such woman is Michelle Obama. I also have a few male mentors who positively and successfully impact my life, however, a bulk of my mentors are women because it is important to me that I am surrounded by and learn from other women. Representation matters.
One of my mentors, somebody I have a personal relationship with, is Keamogetswe Matsho - CEO of Aqua Air Africa and founder of King Gina. She is one of my most cherished mentors, for several reasons. She’s brilliant, strategic, knowledgeable about business and passionate about women empowerment.
Another one is #womaninlaw, Sinako Bomela, founder and MD of Sinako We Can. She is known for her leadership, building confidence of the youth by making their aspirations achievable through her organization. She is also a pioneer of women’s rights.
I am grateful for the advice and guidance that I get from these women. I am constantly learning from them by following and studying their works.

Look at where you are and where you want to be, find somebody who has the knowledge and information that you need in order to advance yourself. One way to get into contact with them is by positioning yourself in a way that you get around that person and introduce yourself to them. NB - Do Not Be a Stalker! Another way is to pop them an email or even a DM. What do you have to lose?

Introduce yourself and be clear about what it is that you want and what your expectations are. Show him/her why you deserve their time. You will definitely find somebody to look up to and learn from in your community, campus, the company you work for and even on social media. Hopefully they will be willing to help you get to where you want to be.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women in Law Interview - Silvia Uscov

This month we chat to stunning Romanian lawyer, Silvia Uscov, who is a business attorney and managing partner at USCOV | Attorneys at Law. Silvia oversees the Bankruptcy and Restructuring workgroup. She is also a human rights lawyer and safeguards human rights & civil liberties through civil and criminal proceedings, in front of both local as well international courts such as ECHR. I came across Silvia’s page a few weeks ago, I was naturally draw to her profile and apparent confidence. A quick DM resulted in a very pleasant conversation about women in law, mentorship etc.  This platform really allows me to meet and interact with some amazing and phenomenal women in law and Silvia is exactly that! Below is the interview between For Women in Law (FWIL) and (SU) Silvia Uscov verbatim FWIL: What inspired you to study law? SU: I consider Law a combination of mystery, puzzle, research, logic, sales and a vision of a saving hero. Because I did not have a grea

Women in Law Interview: Gundo Nevhutanda

This month we speak to attorney, notary, and conveyancer, Gundo Nevhutanda. Gundo was born in Vondwe village in Limpopo and she qualified as an attorney after serving her articles in 2016. She simultaneously studied BCom (Law) and Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from 2010 to 2014 at the University of Pretoria and a t the tender age of 25, Gundo was named by the Law Society of the Northern Provinces as the youngest black female conveyancer to be admitted. She obtained her LLM in 2018 and she is currently a Ph.D. candidate and an associate in the Financial Regulatory practice at Webber Wentzel in Sandton, South Africa. Earlier this month Gundo earned a place among the 2019 Mail & Guardian 200 Young South Africans! Below is our interview with the phenomenal woman in law. FWIL: Tell us a little about yourself. (Background, career, interests) GN: My full names are Gundo Victoria Nevhutanda and I am the first of 4 children. I was born and raised in Vondwe, a village i

Women in Law Interview: Star Koketso Lediga

This month we speak to lawyer and author, Star Koketso Lediga, who holds a bachelor of laws from the University of Pretoria, and is an admitted attorney of the high court of South Africa. I came across Koketso's Instagram account a few weeks ago and immediately recognized her as somebody I went to high school with. If my memory serves me right, I think she was in matric when I was in grade 8.  I remember her because she was hard not to notice. Tall, beautiful and vocal!  Koketso specializes in  construction, engineering law and energy law and she   is also a managing director at Infra-Afrika, an advisory firm that offers legal, engineering and financing-related advisory services. This phenomenal woman in law recently became an independent published author. In this interview she tells us more about her book - Kole Meets Mama Winnie's Southern African Friends. FWIL:      What inspired you to study law? KL: I wish I had some profound and inspiring respon